Sunday 11 October 2015

[Homework] Project Requirements Week 5

Find an example of a real world project requirement?


This was the question posed to the class by our lecturer at the end of class, otherwise more commonly known as homework :). 
  1. I began my research by first asking the question, what is a project requirement?. I was trying to determine what were the essential components of a good project requirement.  
  2. I finally had a 'simplified' list of what I believed to be a good project requirement.  
  3. I then set about finding a real world example, which I could use in class discussion, or during the class stand up meeting. 
  4. The real life example I found was a project requirement for the library of Syracuse University (New York). 

The project requirement; 'The library will have a public-facing blog that will serve to communicate library news, events and resources, as well as providing the library’s user community with the ability to comment on posts.' (Syracuse University, (2011) 
I have attached a PDF* of the project requirement for you to view. While it is not one page long, as requested, I think it's a good example of project requirements. 

You find the link to the Project Requirement HERE*. 

Additional Information: You can view the results of the project requirements HERE

Reflection: While I personally think this was a good project requirement example. I think the project would have benefited if some of the functional requirements were less ambiguous. I think the project requirements were good, but the overall execution was not of the same standard. I have linked the website above for your own analysis of their execution of project requirements. 
Any feedback and/or comments, are appreciated. 

*The PDF is the work of Syracuse University (2011) and not my work

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for looking at this example. Interesting to see how much a design concept and/or existing context constrains the solution to a general need, but also avoids detailing that existing context in any substantive manner.

    ReplyDelete