Monday 21 September 2015

[Assignment] Try it Yourself.

"By wearing a prototype medical device throughout their daily activities, the team understood the physical, social, and emotional implications for patients who might use it" 
I Andrew Desmond want to understand the Laptop rental scheme in the UCD James Joyce library. 

My procedure will be:

To try the product myself, in order to appreciate the actual experience a real user has. I will use the product over the course of the day and record my findings and suggest recommendations based on these findings. I also plan to record my use of the product. 

I found the Following: 


  • I found that swiping the UCard for a second time, seemed like a redundant step. While observing, I noticed that swiping your UCard the second time tended to be the source of many errors for first time users. 
  • You have to wait a minute until after the person in front of you has closed the laptop drawer. This was annoying at times. 
  • The system was easy to use, fast and all the laptops were in excellent condition. 
  • The ability to connect to the printers form the laptop was a huge benefit, it saved me having to queue to print my files. 
  • I felt under pressure, and I was always checking the time, with the 3 hour time limit.
  • Their was no machine in the Blackrock Library.
  • I didn't read the T&C as I didn't feel comfortable standing in front of the machine reading the T&C.
  • The first time I went to rent a laptop, they were all gone; this was on a Thursday at 18:00, during the second week of college, which suggests that they may need to invest in more laptops.



  • Not a great start :) 

    Recommendations: 

    • The second swiping of the UCard should be removed. It is a redundant step.
    • The system shouldn't need to slow down between users, this task should be performed in the background. This would speed up the borrowing and returning process. 
    • More physical laptops are needed. 
    • This service needs to be available in all 5 of the UCD library's. 
    • Their should be  a countdown timer or pop-up when you are near the end of your rental time. 
    • The Terms and Conditions should be somewhere on the laptop, possible as a background on the home screen. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment